We make every attempt to keep school open during severe weather however as a school we need to be prepared. Our priority is the health and safety of both staff and pupils. If and when severe weather arrives, it could cause disruption on the roads. The staff who have long journeys may be unable to get to school.
In the event of severe weather, a decision will be made by 7.45 am whether the school will open. This information will be then shared in the following ways:-
- Greatest Hits Radio: Harrogate & The Yorkshire Dales: greatesthitsradio.co.uk.
How to play your part:
- Keep this information in a safe place.
- Make sure your child comes dressed appropriately for the weather outside everyday. (coats, hats, gloves, wellies)
- If you can’t arrive on time come in when it is safe to do so.
- Remember that unless the weather is really severe, the children are encouraged to get out into the fresh air and have a ‘run around’. If it snows we will often go outside to play in the park!
- Phone school as this blocks our telephone line.
- Phone radio stations for information; they will broadcast details regularly.
- Assume we are open/closed just because other local schools are. Whilst we do liaise with other schools, ultimately the decision is based on the safety of our school family. We have a number of staff who travel long distances to school.
- Send children to school until you have checked. We will understand if on such days children arrive late.