PSHCE with RHE
Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education with Relationships and Heath Education
The Relationships Education, Relationships and Sex Education and Health Education (England) Regulations 2019, made under sections 34 and 35 of the Children and Social Work Act 2017, make Relationships Education compulsory for all pupils receiving primary education. It also made Health Education compulsory. You can read the Government guidance here.
We have consulted as a staff and governors to form our draft policy and would like to share it with parents and invite their comments.
Please read the aims of our curriculum and see attached our draft policy and curriculum objectives. If you would like to share your views please contact school on firstname.lastname@example.org
We have also included below a powerpoint from the PSHE association which outlines the major curriculum changes.
The aims of our PSHCE curriculum
Through our PSHCE programme, we aim to provide children with the knowledge, skills and understanding they need to lead confident, healthy, independent lives and to become informed, active and responsible citizens. In providing children with an understanding of healthy and respectful relationships and appropriate boundaries, we consider effective PSHCE and RHE to be a fundamental part of our approach to supporting pupils to grow into confident, caring, responsible and respectful young citizens. We are building a kind community where everyone is nurtured and celebrated. At Sutton in Craven CP RHE is taught within the Personal, Social, Health, Citizenship and Economic (PSHCE) education curriculum. In addition, some aspects of the RHE programme will be covered through:
- ∙ Science curriculum
- ∙ Computing
- ∙ Circle times
- ∙ Assemblies
- ∙ Stories
- ∙ PE in the context of health and hygiene
PSHCE is lifelong learning about personal, physical, moral and emotional development. It should teach children and young people to develop and form positive values, attitudes, personal and social skills, and increase their knowledge and understanding of how to make informed decisions and life choices.
The aims of PSHCE and RHE at our school are:
- To help pupils to value self and others, develop confidence and empathy to become resilient individuals
- To give pupils the skills to form positive and healthy relationships
- For our pupils to be appreciative and grateful.
- To provide a framework in which sensitive discussions can take place
- To teach pupils the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies
- To prepare pupils for puberty, and give them an understanding of the importance of health and hygiene
- To provide all pupils with knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will enable them to make positive and healthy choices to keep themselves safe.
- To ensure that pupils have the right knowledge to make informed and responsible decisions.
- We want to foster an inclusive and tolerant attitude within our pupils and this will be promoted through work around:
skills to help others e.g. first aid and BSL
valuing different ethnic groups and faiths
valuing the different life choices people